Overall it’s been a good week On the Flats, with the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets coming off an impressive 56-0 win over Syracuse which snapped a three-game losing streak, and going penalty-free in a game for the first time since 1968. The news wasn’t all good however, as the defense was dealt an injury blow, losing ILB Anthony Harrell for the remainder of the season.
Head coach Paul Johnson touched on several important issues during his weekly press conference, including the big win over the Orange, and the upcoming tilt at Virginia (See press conference transcript here at ramblinwreck.com)
One of CPJ’s more colorful quotes on the contest against the Cavaliers, “It’s a tough place to play. All you have to do is look at the history. Tech hasn’t done very well there. Two years ago we were 6-0 and ranked, and went up there and got our tails whipped.”
A few notes on the Jackets from the Georgia Tech Athletic Dept. to finish up the week:
- The Yellow Jackets are 8th in the nation in touchdown percentage from total number of possessions.
- Inside the red zone, Georgia Tech has scored 23 touchdowns in 28 attempts (82.1 percent), which ranks second nationally behind only Wyoming.
- The Yellow Jackets are punting an average of just 3.3 times per game. Only nine FBS teams are punting less frequently.
- Tech’s David Sims has 84 rushing attempts and none have been for negative yardage. No other player in the nation has more carries without a negative-yardage attempt.
- Saturday’s game with Virginia will be the fifth Georgia Tech game this season in which its opponent is trying to win its first conference game.