1) After having a few months to decompress, how do you feel about Tech’s season last year? What were the biggest positives you saw out of the team and where do you think it all fell apart for the Jackets?
Last season was certainly an up and down season for the Jackets and their record doesn’t show how strong they played at times but it also doesn’t show how badly they played at times as well. The offense was dynamic when TaQuon Marshall’s decision making was good but at other times it definitely left a lot to be desired. There were certainly successes to build off but their performance in second half of games last year was unbearable and it cost them several games and if they don’t change their ways, it will again in 2018.
More from Football
- Georgia Tech Football: What the new ACC scheduling format means for the Yellow Jackets
- Georgia Tech gets six new commits to 2023 class after official visits
- Georgia Tech hosts a plethora of 2023 recruits this weekend
- Dontae Smith slated for big season in 2022
- Why Georgia Tech must move on from Andrew Thacker
Last season we saw that TaQuon Marshall is a highly capable and dynamic quarterback. The problem last season was that the Jackets couldn’t seem to put a complete game together and had trouble closing the deal at times.
1) I believe the 2017 season was full of the “Yips” the term I use for lack of confidence in big moments. It all started against Tennessee. A game that anyone would tell you Tech should have won. A total collapse and one bad no pitch decision by Marshall lead to a season full of 4th quarter leads slipping away. The positive I take from it is the Jackets were good enough to win almost every game they played, talent was not the issue. The mental toughness of the team must improve in 2018.
Man, you came out of the gate with a hard one. The highs and lows of last season were pretty ridiculous. Tech for whatever reason just could not seem to put a second half together to save their season. That coupled with simple bad luck had me on the edge of my sanity all season. I can take a few positives away however. The offense works. Period. You can’t dispute that at all. When it clicks, it’s amazing to watch. The fall apart for me all season was anything that the defense did after halftime. Second half adjustments or scheming was just bad all around ultimately leading to the bad luck scenarios we all witnessed.