The Georgia Tech football coaching staff has not been shy about their high standards on the recruiting trail and on Friday, they threw their hats in the ring for highly touted 2021 quarterback J.J McCarthy
J.J McCarthy, the second-ranked quarterback in the 2021 recruiting class by 247Sports is one of the highest touted players regardless of position in the 2021 recruiting class. The Nazareth Academy (La Grange Park, IL) signal-caller is ranked as a top-20 prospect nationally and is being courted by some of the top programs in the north and northeast. Right now, McCarthy is considered a four-star prospect but he will most definitely be ranked as a five-star prospect come this time next year.
At 6-foot-2 and 180-pounds, McCarthy isn’t a huge quarterback but is able to get the job done. 247Sports’s Allen Trieu goes so far to compare the Illinois native to future Pro Football Hall of Famer Drew Brees.
So far in his recruitment, Big Ten schools have gotten a head start on him to say the least with 11 of the conference’s 14 schools already extending offers to McCarthy. Currently, there seems to be a pair of programs that have made the biggest impact on the signal caller, those being Big Ten powerhouses Michigan and Ohio State. Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Penn State all have tried pretty strong hands with McCarthy as well.
Currently, Michigan is the overwhelming favorite to land McCarthy with 86% of all predictions going towards the Wolverines. The other 14% is currently “undecided”.
For the Yellow Jackets, throwing their hat in the ring for McCarthy is worth a try. He’s going to be one of the top quarterback recruits in the 2021 recruiting class and can be a program-changing prospect. That being said, an easy look at McCarthy’s recruitment timeline shows that the Illinois native appears to want to stay in the north and particularly in the Big Ten footprint.
McCarthy overall is one of seven quarterbacks in the 2021 recruiting cycle that the Jackets have already offered. The Jackets currently don’t hold any commitments in the 2021 recruiting class as their primary focus continues to be the 2020 recruiting class which is currently ranked in the top-30 by 247Sports’s class rankings.