Nathan Rakitt and the phrase “straight sets’ have been connected together since he arrived on the Indiana University campus for the ITA/USTA Summer Championships.
More from Tennis
- Yellow Jacket News: Congratulations to all new graduates of Georgia Tech
- Autonomy Proposal is Announced by the ACC
- Georgia Tech Tennis: Men’s Tennis Fall Schedule Set To Begin
- Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis: Kevin King in Doubles Draw of U.S. Open
- Nathan Rakitt and Christopher Eubanks Advance in ITA National Summer Championships
Rakitt picked up a couple more straight set wins by sending home Top 16 seed Thomas Mayronne out of South Carolina 6-2, 7-6 early Monday. The Tech Tennis star then followed that up with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Anthony Delcore of Wake Forest.
Tuesday, Rakitt is going to have to keep his hot game going in the semifinals against Indiana Hoosier Sam Monette. That match will start at 8:30 in the morning.
As for the other Yellow Jacket in the ITA Championships, Christopher Eubanks fell short in the quarterfinals by losing to South Carolina Gamecock Harrison O’Keefe 6-3, 7-6. Eubanks loss came after defeating Northwestern’s Sam Shropshire 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9).
Rakitt and Eubanks decided to bow out of the doubles draw Monday after falling 8-3 to Indiana’s Sam Monette and Dan Bednarcyzk in the quarterfinals.
Nathan Rakitt, who is one of the Top 8 seeds in the field, is two wins away from taking the ITA crown. He is going to have a tough early match against Sam Monette on Monette’s homecourt which is going to be a challenge. But Rakitt has been on a roll and has the game to get it done.